Saturday, March 31, 2007

My job as a media consumer is reflected in the ratings

At one point in my life I always managed to make it back to my room to watch my weekly T.V. show. Lately, I have been slacking as a fan, partly because most of my favorite shows have ended for the season, or all together, or I'm just too busy. If you asked me what my favorite show was right now, I would have to say, NBC's ER.

ER has that touch of excitement of someones life is on the line, which is layered with the personal lives of the doctors. Even though I still hold true that the original, as seen in "where are they now" is always best, the current season is still good. Out of 15,411 shows, its popularity contest ranks it at 20, and its rating rank is 355. Overall, viewers rate it to be an 8.9 on a ten point scale.

I think the show's popularity competes the most with Grey's Anatomy. It seems like everyone is watching it, and then calling other friends to discuss what just happened, and forget all about the big ending to the night. I think the night works for it, but the time does not. I am too busy to watch television on the weekends and I'm too tired on Monday night. Between the rest of the days, I would keep it on Thursday because I'm getting excited for the weekend and need some mental relaxation by then. It would also be more likely that I would watch it if it was an hour earlier because I could stay up for it. However, I don't think it could buy that time slot from Grey's.

The nearest city to my home is Buffalo. According to the Nielsen ratings, it is rated as 49, with 639,990 TV homes, making up .575 % of the US. ER did not make the top ten, but Grey's did with a rating of 14.4, or 15,869,800 TV households. I think for the remainder of this season, Grey's will win out. My suggestion for ER would be to bring some of the original cast back for next season.

No comments: